For Lloyd Gill....

Friday, December 24, 2010
.
On the 20th this month, GAP lost one of their biggest supporters and friends - Lloyd Gill, greyhound trainer from Tararua, suddenly passed away.
I am writing this blog entry because I met Lloyd, for the first time, on 19th , when he dropped off two of his retired racers to the GAP kennels in Sanson. It was a chance meeting, I had no idea who he was  - I was just dropping off my foster dog Crank (Awesome Voyage) there to be adopted. 
When I met Lloyd in the GAP office , I thought he looked like a gentle giant :) He was having a chat with Sonja (GAP kennel manager) and I saw him purchasing a GAP calendar. He was catching up on news on all his ex-racers who live all over NZ now....

I was outside with Crank's new family when Lloyd was leaving and he stopped to chat - I told him Crank's racing name, and he said he me : "Oh I have lost a lot of money on this dog!", and then he proceeded to give Crank a cuddle and he said he was a good boy :) Crank's new family has two small kids and Crank was just loving them on first sight -Lloyd was smiling and commented on how Crank 'seemed to like the little ones'.
Then he drove off - and I never gave it a second thought until I heard he passed away a day later :(

Lloyd gave dozens of retired racers to GAP -  amazing dogs who brought so much love and joy to their new families. Here are just a couple of Lloyd's retired greyhounds:

Catherine from Waikato

Flash from Canterbury

Piper from Kapiti

Buttebean from Taranaki

Sara Jane and her new family in Auckland
Sonja just informed us that Lloyd's funeral is Wednesday next week in Masterton. The notice in the paper today says 'no flowers, donations to GAP'.  Rest in peace Lloyd.

0 comments: